Monday, June 9, 2014

Amber Ltr: 2014-06-09



Subject: A missionary is someone who leaves their family for a time so that others can be with theirs for eternity :)
June 9, 2014
Hey it's me :)

Thanks for the letter mom! It always makes me smile and feel very loved when I see the time that you send those to me. You're the world's greatest! And the front yard looks so pretty! You and Traci did a great job! Thanks for sending the pics.

It is crazy how fast these weeks are flying by. I can hardly believe that this is week 4 of the transfer. And things are just picking up speed. This Wednesday we have the 1 month follow up meeting for new missionaries in Lilburn. This will probably be one of the last, if not the last, times that we get to see President and Sister Wolfert. They did their goodbye to all of us at this last zone conference and it was really sweet. They are awesome and I am going to miss them a lot. But yesterday in sacrament meeting the brother of one of my favorite families in the ward was visiting. He has been called as a new mission president in Argentina and he will be in the MTC at the same time as our new mission president. I was asked to speak in sacrament meeting yesterday and he came up to me after the meeting to introduce himself and he told me that he wished he could have 50 missionaries just like me, which made me feel really good :). I can't imagine what all of the new mission presidents and their wives are going through as their entry date gets closer and closer. But I am sure that President and Sister Benion will be awesome and are exactly who the Lord needs here right now.

We had a really good week here. The week after you have a baptism is always like alright what and who is next. We were very blessed to find some new investigators to work with who seem to have a lot of potential and we are really excited about helping them move forward and progress. One of them is a couple named Mike and Julie. He is an ordained minister in the Baptist church and they have worked with several sets of missionaries. They are hilarious though! We had a blast talking to them and they said that we are welcome to come back anytime. So we will see how that goes haha :)

Another cool experience that we had was on Saturday we were going tracting and we had picked a neighborhood and as we were on our way there, I had the thought to go to a different one but I ignored the thought and kept going to the original one we had picked. We were there for about 20 minutes and not one person answered the door. I told Heavenly Father that I got the hint and we went back to that other neighborhood and at first we had no luck, but then just as we were getting ready to go, we knock on one last door and the sweetest old southern couple opens up the door and they invite us to come in and sit down. We ended up talking to them for about half an hour, getting to know them and then they asked us to share a message with them and we read 3 Nephi 11 with them. They were both really touched and had remembered that their old neighbors were mormon and that there was something different about them and as we were getting ready to go they asked us when we were coming back and gave us their neighbor and told us to come back anytime. Their names are Joe and Mary if you could keep them in your prayers. I am always so amazed at the Lord's willingness to lead us to those who are ready to receive the message that we have to share.

Donna is doing great! A few ward members have invited her to do things with them and she went to the RS activity on Thursday night. She is just awesome :) And the awful moss green paint in her house is gone!! It is now a light shade of gray and it looks SO much better. We had a lot of fun helping her and it is cute to see her so excited about all of these changes. I don't know if I ever told you about her dog, Blue. She is an Australian shepherd and she was 14 years old. Donna says that she used to be really nice and friendly but she has been getting really old and in a lot of pain and this past week Donna had to put her down. It was really sad. But in her last years of her life she had peed everywhere in Donna's house and that was the main reason why it smelled so bad. So our next project is tearing up that nasty carpet and putting in hardwood floor. It will be such an awesome transformation in that house! I am so excited!! Probably almost more so than Donna is. :)

Donna actually came with us to our lesson with the D's this week! It was such a great lesson. The Spirit was really powerful in there and the whole family sat in with us. We each shared different times in our lives when we have felt the closest to God and then we read Ether 12:6 and talked about how most of those times were during different trials in our lives. It was really cool.  They told us that they have started going to 12 stone though but agreed to attend both services (ours and 12 stone) yesterday but sadly they didn't show up. I was really sad but hopefully they will be able to make it next Sunday!

Sam is about the same story still. We did have a cool lesson with her about faith but no change with her dad. Sister Castleton is very determined to make a break through with him, but I am pretty skeptical, not going to lie. He really doesn't seem like the reasonable type from what we have heard of him but we will see how it goes I guess. We are probably going to have to push back her baptism again... I just have to keep reminding myself that it will all come together in the Lord's timing and not mine.

We got back in with Shawn this week! We had another awesome lesson with her. A member who used to live in our ward but moved next door to the Dacula ward who has been with her from the beginning of her journey with the missionaries came with us and it turned out really great. We read the talk, "spiritual traction" with her from Elder Bednar's last conference address. Shawn, Bro Collins (the member) and I were all just crying as we talked about how the Savior is so ready to receive her into His arms and how the gift of the Holy Ghost will bless her so much. We talked with her about getting baptized on June 21 and she is soft committed to that date. She just really wants her family to be supportive of her decision. But so far she still hasn't talked to them and didn't make it to church yesterday. I love her so much but she is just breaking my heart that she isn't doing what she needs to do. I really feel like she is one of the reasons that I am here and I just want this so badly for her. Continued prayers in her behalf would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way you could put her on the prayer roll in the temple? Her name is Shawn.

So yesterday all 4 of the sister missionaries in our ward were asked to speak in sacrament meeting. Sister Hulme (she is also training a new missionary) and I both gave talks and then each of our companions bore their testimonies. It was a really powerful meeting and lots of people told us what a great job we did. I was asked to teach the story of Jonah and relate it to missionary work. I used the book, "The power of everyday missionaries" a lot. I love that book! I just really hope that we can start using the members to help us in finding as well as teaching. They are so great and I was just praying that we would be able to teach them how to share the gospel with their friends and acquaintances. Bishop Adams came up and shook my hand after, gave me a big smile, and said "You nailed it!" I was really happy with how it turned out :)

Well I think that about wraps up the week. Happy Fathers Day on Sunday Dad!! A card should be coming your way in a couple of days. I love you so much and I will be thinking about you that day! Thank you so much for all the love, support, and prayers. I truly can feel them and I couldn't do this without all of you!! I love you all so much!!

xoxo

Love,
Sister Bedke

PS Humidity makes a HUGE difference in how hot it is!! My hair is on top of my head every single day and the only make up I wear is mascara because you just sweat everything else off. I bought several light cotton tshirt type shirts to stay cool which have been a huge help. Hot-lanta is a real thing. :) But come what may and love it right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment